Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Sore Shoulders & Paleo Chili

Chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili chili. I'm making some right meow! :)

If you're a local reader and you aren't completely brain dead, you know that it's snowing today. I am pissed off about this, but I really like chili. I was talking about making it all morning at work today, so as soon as I got done with my workout after my shift, I scooted on over to the store to buy chili supplies. 

During my adventure I made a new and unfortunate discovery about chili seasoning packets: they're NOT paleo. They have added salt, flour, and other garbage in them, so I had to get creative today. Also, I recently converted back to eating meat (weeee!!), but I am still not eating red meat very often, so I decided to make turkey chili. I really like the way ground turkey tastes and it's a great, lean replacement for beef in 99% of all dishes. With that said, here's my recipe for Paleo Chili, which is smelling pretty faaantastic right about now :)

Paleo Chili (chili chili chili chili):
  • 1 pound lean ground turkey
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 zucchini, chopped
  • 1 yellow squash, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes, no salt added
  • 4 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1 tbsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp ground black pepper
  • salt to taste (I added very little to keep it Paleo)
  1. Heat large pot on medium/high setting, add turkey, cook thoroughly, remove & set aside.
  2. In same pot, saute zucchini, squash, & onion 3-4 minutes until slightly colored.
  3. Add garlic, cook for about 1 minute longer.
  4. Add turkey & spices, cook for about 1 minute.
  5. Add tomatoes, stir, reduce heat to low and let simmer for at least 30 minutes before serving. 
In other news, I am sore as SHIT right now thanks to yesterday's workout. It was my first time doing a wod (workout of the day) with snatches (giggity) and I am really feeling it today. It was a very challenging workout and I almost cried. I am not joking. I was literally 1 inch away from getting my damn chin over the bar on an unbanded kipping pullup though. I hope everyone in that gym is prepared to watch me kiiiiick, dance, and scream when I get it :) 

As a whole though, I think that the challenge is going really well so far! I've been getting down on some hydration, taking my vitamins when I should, there has been no cheating of any kind, and I've been following Progressive's programming everyday (hence the lumps of painful meat I refer to as shoulders, quads, hamstrings, lats, and abdominals).  

Thanks for reading, guys!! Stay warm today :)



1 comment:

  1. The chili looks yummy. I wanna taste. : ) Also, I love your new blog, it is fantastic. Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete