Monday, October 24, 2011

30 Day Paleo Challenge

I feel like this is a really good time to kick off my new blog because starting today, I am doing a 30 day Paleo challenge to push myself to further improve my nutrition and training! In this post, I will explain a little bit about the Paleo lifestyle, go over some of my challenge guidelines, and hopefully convince a few people to participate :) 

I would love to commit to a daily post throughout the duration of the challenge, but realistically speaking, I know myself better than that. I plan on blogging at least 3 times a week throughout the month just to keep myself committed to the challenge, dish out some pointers, and also make sure that I am consistently posting on the new blog. With all of that said, let's get down on some information.

First things first, the Paleolithic Diet (Paleo, for short) is a nutritional plan based on that of our Paleolithic ancestors (cavemen). Today's Paleolithic diet consists mainly of lean meats, seafood, vegetables, fruit, and nuts; the lifestyle excludes any processed foods such as grains, legumes, dairy products, salt, refined sugar, and processed oils. I've been following the Paleo lifestyle for about 2 months now and it has made a huge difference in my training, body composition, and general well-being. I usually make a few exceptions to the "rules" though; I eat oats, consume protein powders, eat canned tuna, and eat whatever I want on Saturdays. I strongly believe that post-workout nutrition is very important, so for Paleo month, I will continue consuming protein powders after my workouts. I will also continue eating canned tuna because it is convenient and very high in protein...I do eat the low sodium, white albacore tuna, so that makes it a little bit more acceptable. Oats, along with cheat day Saturdays, will be going out the window for the next 30 days though...unless I decide to keep going with the challenge, which is extremely likely :) 

In addition to strictly following the Paleo lifestyle on a daily basis (excluding my exceptions), I have come up with a few more rules for myself in order to get the maximum benefit from the challenge. 

Paleo Challenge Rules:
  • 100% Paleo everyday, all month.
  • Strictly follow Progressive CrossFit's programming everyday, all month. 
  • Complete 3+ workouts at PFCF every week.
  • Practice yoga 2+ times per week (whether attending a class or on my own).
  • Take my vitamins and supplements everyday.
  • Run 2+ miles a day at least 3 days per week.
  • Drink 6+ bottles (32 oz.) of water each day.
  • No eating at restaurants for the full 30 days.
  • Complete at least 10 minutes of stretching/mobilization each day.
  • Blog about Challenge progress at least 3 times per week. 
  • Kick ass. Everyday. All month. 
I took a series of photos today because I have a good feeling that this month is going to make a huge difference :)

Before Pictures:

Myself :)

 Aaron, who is wonderful/insane for doing this with me :) 

Alrighty, I think that pretty much covers it! Check back every now and then for Challenge updates, tips, and possibly even Paleo recipes. Wish us luck!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment