Monday, November 7, 2011

Be the Change You Want to See

Throughout my weight loss journey, I have had several people approach me with similar scenarios: a friend, parent, child, or partner of their's is unhealthy or overweight and they would like to help them change this. Today in America, I'm sure that everyone knows at least one person that could be considered overweight or unhealthy; chances are that you know more than five. My life goal at this point is to lead a healthful lifestyle and help others to do the same, so I'd like to discuss a little bit on this topic before updating everyone on the Paleo Challenge and other lovely subjects.

After I started losing weight, it was like I unveiled some treasured secret that I needed to tell everyone about. "Guys, get this shit...I started working out and eating vegetables, and now I'm losing weight!" Really? Imagine that. Suddenly I decided that I wanted to help people get healthy. Several of my closest beloveds could use some encouragement with their health, so I tried to light fire under their asses by writing workouts for them, planning their weekly menus, giving them advice, and offering discounted memberships (I'm a membership pimp). I was really surprised at first that none of them were shrinking and purchasing their clothing at the Baby Gap like I do. So what gives? Obviously I figured out the formula for weight loss, right?

Just because you and I would like to see our unhealthy friend change their ways, doesn't mean that they're going to. My victims probably tried a few of my workouts in their living room, ate a couple days worth of my menus, and told me that they'd come into the gym just to appease me. Key phrase: appease me. This has absolutely nothing to do with me (or you); we are trying to help our friend. 

Until our friend is ready to lose weight for the right reasons (to live longer, to have a better quality of life, to see their children grow up, etc.), they will not become healthier. The only person anyone should be changing their lives for is themselves; not me or you. Encouraging our friend to make lifestyle changes for themselves is the best thing we can do for now. 

Here are some ways you can encourage loved ones around you:

  • Purchase them a subscription to a fitness or healthy living magazine.
  • Have a healthy date night: cook a nutritious meal & watch the Biggest Loser.
  • Join a local gym together; most clubs offer a deal if you sign up in pairs :)
  • Set a goal with them; even if you are not trying to lose weight, you can aspire to build lean muscle, commit to daily exercise, improve your nutrition, etc.
  • Go on a hike, bike ride, walk around the park, etc.
  • When they talk about being overweight or unhealthy, let them know that you're there to support them no matter what. 
  • Start some kind of challenge; it doesn't have to be extreme: 7 day challenge to be active for at least 30 minutes daily, 10 day no soda challenge, etc.
  • Let them put you through a workout; exposure is exposure, right? 
  • Most importantly, lead by example. Be the change that you wish to see around you; how can you tell someone to get healthier when you are not doing it yourself? 
Encouraging our friend to make changes for themselves instead of pushing fitness or nutrition programs on them sets them up for longterm success. Being too forward or demanding when someone isn't committed can be counterproductive; positivity is always best :) 

Today makes day 15 of the Paleo Challenge and Aaron is a cheater!! That fool tried to act surprised when I told him that salad dressing is not Paleo; pretty sure I've never seen a bottle of thousand island carved into a cave drawing, cheater! Calling him out on the dub-cubed is enough punishment though, so I guess he isn't disqualified :) I, on the other hand, have not cheated and am kicking this challenge's caveman ass. 

I'm feeling pretty good about organized lists in this post, so let's see a few, bulleted facts on how the Paleo Challenge has affected my social life:
  • If anyone ever asks me to hang out, I alert them that I will be bringing my own food if they drag me to a restaurant. 
  • I went into work today smelling like grilled chicken because I cooked an entire flock of chicken breasts before my shift. 
  • Everyone at work knows I'm Paleo because I eat meat hunks out of a Ziploc bag and mow on entire crowns of broccoli all day. 
  • There is a running joke that I hunt buffalo on weekends with handmade weaponry. 
  • The only people that care about 90% of the shit I talk about are employees at Whole Foods or Vitamin Shoppe.
  • I have a blog...that I post on about the food I eat...and hardly anything else...
  • Other than that, I don't think my nutritional switch has affected my social life too much :)
Workout news!! My favorite workout is a 15 minute AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) of 5 dips, 10 box jumps, and 60 jump ropes. The first time I did this wod (about a month ago), I got exactly 9 rounds. I did it again yesterday and got 10 rounds + 5 dips + 4 box jumps. So basically I PR'd the shit out of that workout :) In other workout news, I did a lot of GHD situps today and almost ran into a wall! I also started doing Progressive's strength program, so I maxed out a few lifts today and was rather impressed with the results! 70 pound shoulder press, 135 pound back squat, 185 pound deadlift, and 105 pound front squat. I am a beef machine, basically. 


Just a shout out to my baby sister, Alyssa: I am so incredibly proud of you for following your goals and being a brave lil' soldier. I'll miss the shit out of you while you're in Basic Training and I'm already counting down the days until your graduation. Always remember that I love you more than the world and I will be thinking about you everyday <3 

Happy Monday!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment